The Cathedral of Palermo, one of the oldest churches of the city, is dedicated to the Assumption of the Virgin Mary. The main characteristic of this beautiful architectural complex is the presence of many different styles, due to many restorations and additions made from its early days till the 18th century.
The first church was erected in 1185 on an earlier Byzantine church which had been turned into a mosque during the Saracens’ domination, in the 9th century. Of this first medieval building only e few elements still survive today. The rest has been changed and covered by new architectural elements added during the next centuries.
In the early 15th century, Master Antonio Gambara added the beautiful porch, one